Where an application is ready for issue except for a slight defect in the drawing not involving change in structure, the examiner will prepare a letter to the applicant indicating the change to be made and may include a marked-up copy of the drawing showing the addition or alteration to be made. The marked-up copy of the drawing should be attached to the letter to the applicant made of record in the application file.
As a guide to the examiner, the following corrections are illustrative of those that may be suggested without requiring annotated sheets from the applicant:
- (A) Adding two or three reference characters or exponents.
- (B) Changing one or two numerals or figure ordinals.
- (C) Removing superfluous matter.
- (D) Adding or reversing directional arrows.
- (E) Changing Roman Numerals to Arabic Numerals to agree with specification.
- (F) Adding section lines or brackets, where easily executed.
- (G) Changing lead lines.
- (H) Correcting misspelled legends.