The title associated with a CPC symbol defines the scope of the subject matter covered by that symbol. In general, the title of every CPC organizational division is read as including the titles of all its superior organizational units. For example, the title of a CPC subgroup is interpreted as including the title of its parent group and that parent’s group title all the way up to, and including, the section title.
Titles in the CPC system are generally in the form of single part or multipart titles which are described below.
- (A) Single part title — Defines or represents the subject matter of a single concept or information.
- A47C 1/00 Chairs adapted for special purposes
- (B) Multipart title (separated by semicolons) — A semicolon in a CPC title delineates coverage of two distinct and separate information entities that should be considered stand-alone things for purposes of coverage.
- F25D REFRIGERATORS; COLD ROOMS; ICE-BOXES; COOLING OR FREEZING APPARATUS NOT COVERED BY ANY OTHER SUBCLASS
- The three semicolons in the above example inform us that the subclass covers four distinct and separate entities: 1) refrigerators, 2) cold rooms, 3) ice boxes, and 4) other types of cooling or freezing apparatus not covered by any other subclass, therefore it is a residual to all cooling and freezing apparatus not elsewhere classified in CPC.