Ninth Edition, Revision 10.2019 (June 2020)
An efficient and user-friendly searchable electronic replication of the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP). Updated to the latest edition on September 26, 2020. Provided as a courtesy by software patent attorney, Rohit Chhabra.
- Use quotes for an exact phrase match (e.g.,
subject matter eligibilitywill find all sections that contain the exact phrase).
- Leave out quotes for a broad search to find sections where the searched word(s) are mentioned in any order.
- To find relevant results faster, try combining phrases (in quotes) and keywords (without quotes)
petition to make special(with quotes) will find all sections that has the exact phrase — in the exact order.
- A particular section (or subsection) can be reached by typing the section number or title, e.g., 2143.01 or
- restrictions on uspto employees (without quotes) will perform a broad search and display sections that have the searched words in any order (Note: this may cause non-relevant results to be displayed as well).
final rejection(combination of a phrase–final rejection–and a keyword ‘improper’) can be used to determine all sections related to a final rejection discussing when it may be improper for an examiner to issue one.
- Step 2A
prong oneto find subject matter eligibility analysis discussing prong one of step 2A. Note:
Step 2A prong onewould ignore the sections that do not contain the exact phrase, so may not be desirable if variants of the phrase.
Search the MPEP
Table of Contents
Our search engine may be beneficial to patent practitioners and patent bar students. Results generated by this engine would generally lead you to the relevant topic faster than by any other conventional means (e.g., USTPO website, Google, Bing, etc.)
Note: Internal cross reference links to other sections of the MPEP (from within a chapter) have been disabled due to the updates. All links from this page or the search results should work as intended. We apologize for any inconvenience.